Homemade Vapor Rub

This week I decided to try a brand new recipe using my essential oils. It was super easy to make and made a lot! I really don't like using the conventional vapor rub you can buy at the store because it contains petroleum products, so when I saw a recipe for making it at home, I knew I had to try it. 
Here are the ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup grated beeswax (I grated a one ounce bar and that was equal to 3/4 c.)
35 drops R.C. essential oil blend (or Raven or Ravintsara or a combination)
30 drops peppermint
15 drops lavender

 I melted the olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax in a Pyrex bowl over a pot of boiling water since I don't have a double boiler. It took a pretty good while for the beeswax to melt, but the recipe was not difficult at all. After it had all melted, I removed it from the stove and set it down to cool a bit before adding the essential oils. But make sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't start to harden up before you've poured it into your containers. 

This recipe makes a little more than 10 ounces of vapor rub. I bought three 2 ounce containers from Amazon for it, but still had enough leftover to fill a 4 ounce mason jar as well. I've been using it this week and it's really helping with Graham's congestion. 

No comments :

Post a Comment